9 Aug 2016
Dr Alan Baylis, Chair of the Board of Trustees, welcomed Members to the 135th SCI AGM on Wednesday 6 July 2016.
Elections were held for ordinary Members of the Board of Trustees, with the following Members being elected:
- Dr Inna Baigozina-Goreli
- Mr John Brown
- Prof Alan Heaton
- Prof Jenny Mordue
- Dr Jan Ramakers
- Dr David Witty
The AGM also noted the unopposed election of the following candidates:
- Chair of the Finance and Investment Advisory Committee - Dr Geoff Fowler
- Ordinary Members of the Finance and Investment Advisory Committee - Mr John Brown, Mr Derek Heywood and Mr Peter Reineck
- Ordinary Member of the Membership Affiars Committee - Dr Maryam Bayati
- Ordinary Members of the Publications Advisory Committee - Mr Peter Reineck
We look forward to working with our new Trustees and Standing Committee Members to deliver our strategy and drive SCI forward.
All other AGM resolutions were passed.
This was followed by a presentation from Sharon Todd on the SCI Strategy and key Activities delivered.
Following a short break, Dr Len Copping, Hon Secretary and Chair of the Membership Affairs Committee presented the Distinguished Service Awards.
This year’s recipients are:
- Dr Gordon Armstrong, All Ireland Group; Materials Chemistry Group
- Dr Malcolm Faers, Colloids & Surface Chemistry Group
- Dr Wolf Hamm, Lipids Group
- Dr Caroline Low, Fine Chemicals Group
The three graduating SCI Scholars were introduced by Prof Alan Heaton, Principal of the College of Scholars and Chair of the Early Careers Committee. Each of them presented their work.
- Paul Brack - Making hydrogen: why particle size matters.
- Tanatorn Khotavivattana - Organofluorine Chemistry of Pharmacology and Clinical.
- David Mould - Design and synthesis of reversible inhibitors of lysine specific demethylase 1.
The AGM ended with a reception where Members were given the opportunity to network with each other and invited guests from key SCI partner organisations.
Please note that the 136th AGM will be held on Wednesday 5 July 2017.