This meeting is for scientists interested in soft matter and its application. Each speaker is an outstanding scientist with experience of a different industry. Speakers will describe the high-quality science underpinning products in the context of the challenges that their industry faces, which can range from product performance to regulation. Each industry has different constraints (cost / purity / safety / shelf life etc.). Application environments can range from ambient (agrochemical) to inside the body (pharmaceutical) or to extremes of temperature and pressure (oil). These differences mean successful formulations require innovative and excellent use of colloid, polymer, surfactant and interfacial science. The speakers hope to inspire, educate and entertain scientists both from academia and other industries.
Day 1 - 10 January 2017
- Registration and refreshments
- Understanding the fascinating complexity governing the performance of crop protection flowable formulations - Malcolm Faers, Bayer Crop Science
- Paints - Simon Emmett, Akzo Nobel
- Pharmaceutical Formulation: the importance of purity Jayne Lawrence, Kings College
- Lunch and exhibition
- The challenges of formulating alginates for healthcare product applications - Peter Dettmar, Technostics
- Formulating laundry detergents to delight consumers - Mauro Vaccaro, Procter & Gamble
- Hair care - Cleaning and delivering benefits - Nick Ainger, Unilever
- Refreshments and exhibition
- Formulating premium skincare products - Cuross Bakhtiar, Harley Street Cosmetic Ltd
- Challenges involving additive competition in the formulation of lubricant additives Peter Dowding, Infineum
- Formulating fluids to aid oil recovery - hot and sticky but cheap as chips' - Geoff Maitland, Imperial College
- Conference close
An exhibition will run alongside the conference during refreshment breaks, for companies and related organisations who may wish to exhibit. For further information and prices please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Venue and Contact
Early bird fees before Friday 2 December 2016
GB£50 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SCI/RSC Student Member
GB£120 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SCI/RSC Member
GB£50 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SCI/RSC Subsidised Member
GB£170 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Non-Member
Become an SCI Member and save on this and future events
See Membership Options
Sign up as an Event Member to join this event. SCI Full or Student Members receive discounts on event registrations
For booking terms and conditions click here.
SCI Members attending this meeting are able to claim CPD points.
For more information, please contact: