This symposium will cover the current approaches to novel target selection in drug discovery. The differentiation of drug candidates through on- and off-target mechanisms and pathways will be discussed. Methods for target validation, mechanism clarification, measuring or predicting tractability, efficacy and safety will be covered to show how a better understanding of these interacting effects can allow the development of better quality Lead and Clinical Candidates.
This event is aimed at all scientists interested in furthering their knowledge of drug discovery. It will also have wide appeal to members of the drug discovery community eager to understand how to select and validate novel targets. Analysis of pathway effects with on- and off-target activity of drug candidates can help in compound prioritisation and optimisation.
- Registration and refreshments
- Welcome and intro
- Targeting multi-protein regulatory systems: Allostery and protein-protein interactions.
- Phenotypic vs target screening approaches – black or white or shades of grey Graeme Walker, AstraZeneca
- Selection and validation of cancer drug targets: Objective computational assessment and chemical tools Paul Workman,The Institute of Cancer Research, London
- Lunch and exhibition
- The genomics of drug sensitivity in cancer: preclinical biomarker discovery in cancer cells Mathew Garnett, Sanger Institute
- RNAi screening: pitfalls and bear-traps Michael Howell, London Research Institute, CRUK
- Mode of action analysis and biomarker discovery by phospho-proteomics Christian Eckert, Evotec, Germany
- Refreshment break
- Drug Discovery Toxicology: approaches to improving candidate drug safety Peter Newham, AstraZeneca
- The expanding role of the medicinal chemist: application of chemical tools to enhance biological target selection Ian Storer, Pfizer Neusentis
- Closing remarks and Wine reception (Evotec)
Venue and Contact
Earlybird fees - before 3 April 2013
GB£100 . . . . . . . . .SCI Member
GB£30. . . . . . . . . . SCI Student
GB£60. . . . . . . . . . SCI Subsidised Member
GB£130 . . . . . . . . .Non Member
Standard fees - after 3 April 2013
GB£120 . . . . . . . . .SCI Member
GB£36 .. . . . . . . . . SCI Student
GB£72 . . . . . . . . . .SCI Subsidised Member
GB£156 . . . . . . . . .Non Member
Become an SCI Member and save on this and future events
See Membership Options
Sign up as an Event Member to join this event. SCI Full or Student Members receive discounts on event registrations
Booking terms and conditions
SCI Members attending this meeting are able to claim CPD points.
Exhibition and Sponsorship
An exhibition will take place alongside the conference for companies and related organisations who may wish to exhibit. Please email email@example.com for further information and prices. Spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.