For the 24th consecutive year the Fine Chemicals Group are pleased to announce the 24th North Postgraduate Symposium on Novel Organic Chemistry.
This event invites organic chemistry students in the final year of their doctoral studies at UK universities (in synthesis, mechanistic studies, methodology, medicinal chemistry or analysis) to submit applications to present their work.
Winning speakers in this symposium will receive a cash prize and runners up will also recieve prizes.
- Arrival and refreshments
- Opening remarks
- Phorboxazole B: The C20-C32 core fragment Kristaps Ermanis, University of York
- Synthesis of 1-substituted tetrahydroisoquinolines using lithiation-substitution Xiabing Li, University of Sheffield
- Tertiary thiols by stereospecific arylation/vinylation of thiocarbamates Gaëlle Mingat, University of Manchester Chair: Thomas James
- Synthesis of the complete carbon skeleton of Malhamensilipin A Jan Saska, University of Nottingham
- One-pot multi-component pericyclic reactions Joseph Cowell, Newcastle University
- Selective hydrometallations of propargylic alcohols and their applications in synthesis Mark McLaughlin, Queen's University Belfast
- Refreshment break Chair: Sarah Narramore
- Highly stereoselective synthesis of Z-homoallylic alcohols by kinetic resolution of racemic secondary allylboronates Celia Incerti-Pradillos, Loughborough University
- Application of Horner-Wittig Reaction to the construction of contiguous stereocenters Laura Parry, University of Bradford
- Oligobenzamide α-helix mimetic scaffolds: The role of non-covalent interactions in molecular recognition Valeria Azzarito, University of Leeds Chair: Katherine Horner
- High' temperature asymmetric α-Lithiation-trapping of N-Boc pyrrolidine: role of N-Boc rotamers in the synthesis of tetra-substituted pyrrolidines Giacomo Gelardi, University of York
- Terminal alkyne hydroalumination with hystricine like Cp*2ZrCl2 catalysis of stabilized HAlCl2(THF)2 Darren Willcox, University of Nottingham
- Closing remarks
- Wine reception followed by prize presentation
- Speakers dinner
Venue and Contact
This event is FREE to attend.
Become an SCI Member and save on this and future events
See Membership Options
Sign up as an Event Member to join this event. SCI Full or Student Members receive discounts on event registrations
Booking terms and conditions
SCI Members attending this meeting are able to claim CPD points.
Exhibition and Sponsorship
An exhibition will take place alongside the conference for companies and related organisations who may wish to exhibit. Please email email@example.com for further information and prices. Spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.